General Category OINP
The OINP General Category targets foreign skilled workers with job offers who want to settle permanently in the province of Ontario.
As of May 9, 2016, there is a temporary pause on the intake of applications to the Employer Pre-screen application process. Foreign skilled workers with job offers that have already been approved by the OINP may continue to submit a Nominee Application.
For a nomination certificate to be issued under this category, both the employer and the foreign national must submit an application to show that eligibility requirements are met. Eligible employers are required to first submit a Pre-screen Application to OINP to have the position they want to fill approved. If the OINP approves this application, the prospective nominee (the foreign worker the employer is seeking to recruit), must submit a Nominee Application within 60 days of the approval of the Pre-screen Application.
Minimum Requirements for Applicants
In order to be eligible as a foreign worker under the OINP General Category, applicants must:
- Have at least two years (24 months) of paid and verifiable work experience, either in Canada or abroad, within the previous five years in their intended occupation OR have the appropriate registration in Ontario, if applying for a position in a regulated occupation in the province;
- Have a permanent, full-time job offer in a skilled occupation (NOC levels 0, A, or B) from the employer that is also submitting an application; and
- Be residing abroad OR residing, working or visiting Canada on a valid work permit, study permit or visitor record.
Minimum Requirements for Employers
In order to be eligible under this immigration category, the Ontario employer must:
- Have been in active business for at least three years;
- Have business premises in Ontario where the prospective nominee will work;
- Demonstrate sufficient proof of recruitment efforts if the prospective nominee is currently living abroad, visiting Canada, or working in a province or territory other than Ontario;
- Be in compliance with all provincial labour laws, including, but not limited to, employment standards, health and safety, and labour relations legislation; and
- For employers located inside the Greater Toronto Area (GTA):
- Have a minimum gross revue for the most recent fiscal year of $1,000,000, and
- Have at least five permanent full-time employees who are Canadian citizens or Permanent Residents at the location where the candidate is to work.
- For employers located outside the Greater Toronto Area (GTA):
- Have a minimum gross revenue for the most recent fiscal year of $500,000, and
- Have at least three permanent full-time employees who are Canadian citizens or Permanent Residents at the location where the candidate is to work.
Employers inside the GTA can request one position for every five full-time employees while employers outside of the GTA can request one position for every three full-time employees. Regardless of the number of positions an employer is seeking to fill, he or she must only complete one Pre-screen Application form. Employers are limited to a maximum of 20 position requests per calendar year.
Minimum Requirements for Positions
The job position offered must meet the following requirements:
- The position must meet the description of a “skilled occupation” defined by the government as NOC level 0, A, or B;
- The job offered must be for a permanent, full-time position (minimum 1,560 hours of paid employment in a 12-month period);
- The offer must meet prevailing wage rates for the occupation in Ontario;
- The offer must not affect the settlement of any labour dispute or the employment of any person involved in such a dispute;
- The offer must not adversely affect employment or training opportunities for Canadian citizens or permanent residents in Ontario; and
- The position itself must be necessary for the company’s operations.