Once you are in the pool – Skilled immigrants (Express Entry)
Note: You now have 90 days to finish your online application for permanent residence once you are invited to apply. Find out more about the recent changes to Express Entry.
If you create an Express Entry profile and we find you eligible, you will be put into the Express Entry pool of candidates.
- You will be in the pool for one year from the day you get in.
- You will get a personal reference code to use to create a Job Match account in Job Bank.
- If you do not have a job offer or a nomination from a province or territory you must create a Job Match account to be eligible for the pool.
- To do so:
- go to the Job Match sign-in page
- click the “Sign up now!” button
- read the privacy notice and click “I agree”
- follow the instructions to create an account.
- You will receive a points score based on the information you provided in your profile.
- Candidates will be ranked using the Comprehensive Ranking System, which is based on factors that have been shown to help immigrants prosper in Canada.
- There will be regular rounds to invite top candidates to apply for permanent residence.
- You must have an Invitation to Apply before you can apply online for permanent residence.
- You may be invited to apply if you are among the top ranked in the pool based on your skills and experience.
- If you are invited to apply for permanent residence, we will send a message to your account and to your personal email address, so make sure that you provide a valid email address
- You must make sure that the information in your profile stays true and accurate at all times.
- If your situation changes (for example, if you start a new career, you get a new language test, get married, or have a new baby), you must update your profile.
If you do not get invited to apply for permanent residence after a year of being in the pool, your Express Entry profile will expire.
- If you still want to come to Canada as a skilled immigrant, you will need to complete and submit a new profile.
- If you meet minimum entry criteria, you will receive a new Express Entry Profile Number.
Get your application for permanent residence ready
If we invite you to apply, you will have 90 days to fill out and submit your application. Some documents (for example, police certificates) may take longer than 90 days to get. You should start applying for these documents right away, so that you have them ready and can apply within the 90-day time limit.
Try to improve your score
There are things that you can do to improve your score and increase your chances of being invited to apply. For example, you may want to:
- secure a valid job offer using:
- Job Bank, or
- by promoting yourself to employers in Canada using private sector job boards,
- contact provinces and territories to be considered in a Provincial Nominee Program,
- improve your language score,
- improve your education, or
- gain more relevant work experience.
Be sure that your profile is fully up-to-date and accurate.
If we invite you to apply, you will be responsible for any information in your profile and application for permanent residence.
If we find that you misrepresented yourself (gave us false information or left out important details), we will refuse your application. In that case:
- your application could be refused,
- you could be found inadmissible, and
- you could be barred for five years from applying to come to Canada for any reason.