International Admission Requirements

Admission Requirements General Guidelines

Admission requirements vary between specific colleges and programs. In almost all cases, an Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent is required. Graduate Certificate programs require a prior college or university certificate, diploma or degree for admission. In addition, colleges may establish program-specific admission requirements.

Education should normally consist of a minimum of 12 years of study. You will need to present transcripts from your senior high school along with your graduation diploma or certificate, and any graduation exam results.

Mature student status may be granted to applicants who are over 19 years old and do not have a high school diploma or GED. It is intended to allow applicants who have not completed high school the opportunity to be considered for admission, based on the skills and experience they have acquired since leaving school.

Note that if you have completed high school, even decades ago, you are still considered a high school graduate and you may not apply as a mature student.

Mature students are still required to complete course prerequisites.
Early/conditional offers may be available with interim marks.

*For some countries, applicants may be required to have completed one year of university study.

You should apply as soon as possible to reserve your place and so that you will have plenty of time to complete the academic and immigration requirements before your studies begin. Depending on the country in which you live, this process can take anywhere from three to nine months.

Studying in Ontario

We can also assist International Students with

  • Travel arrangements
  • Finding a place to live in Ontario ( Short/ Long term accommodation)
  • Banking
  • Translation of legal documents
  • Finding your way around the community
  • College tours
  • Etc.

For details, please contact us directly.

Documents and Transcripts

Depending upon the program(s), a Credential Assessment Report may be required. This report allows international student advisors & college admissions staff to understand how education completed outside of Canada compares to credentials obtained in Ontario.

Contact us to confirm if both the high school and postsecondary evaluations are necessary. Additional details will be sent to you once your application is received at

Two organizations can assess your academic documents. Visit their websites to learn more about how to obtain a report.

The evaluating organization will forward the report to We process your information, post it to your application and forward it to your college choice(s). If you already have a Credential Assessment Report issued by International Credential Assessment Service (ICAS) or World Education Services (WES), contact the evaluating agency to see if the report can be sent to

Prerequisite Equivalencies for High School Admissions

  • Math: Senior-level Math
  • Chemistry: Senior-level Chemistry
  • Physics: Senior-level Physics
  • English: Senior-level English

For most of our programs, you will also need specific required courses (prerequisites) to be considered for admission.

  • Admission Requirements are based on the Ontario High School System
  • The specific prerequisite subjects below are the necessary minimum requirements and only establish the eligibility of an applicant to be considered for admission to the diploma or degree program
  • English is recommended for all diploma or degrees programs.
  • Students are expected to present a minimum percentage grade and prerequisite average depending on the program for which they apply.
  • The overall average required for admission is determined each year on a program by program basis. All programs have limited enrolment. Admission is not guaranteed and all requirements are subject to change.


Ontario High School Admissions

OSSD with six Grade 12 courses at the 4U or 4M level

  • Prerequisite courses must be at the 4U level with no individual grade below 60%
  • Grade 12 English 4U is recommended for all degrees
  • Grade 12 4U/4M credits for co-op work experience will not be considered as part of the six courses
  • Students are expected to present a minimum percentage grade and prerequisite average depending on the program for which they apply. Please see the chart below for minimum cut-off ranges. Grade ranges apply to the overall and prerequisite average.
  • The overall average required for admission is determined each year on a program by program basis. All programs have limited enrolment. Admission is not guaranteed and all requirements are subject to change.


English Language Requirement

You will also need to demonstrate that your knowledge and use of English are strong enough for studies in an English Language university. If your first language is not English, you can prove your language proficiency in a number of ways.

Proficiency in English for Admissions:

The language of instruction at Canada is English. In their own interest, students whose first language is not English must demonstrate that they can cope with the language demands of an English language College/ University.

Students can demonstrate their English language proficiency by presenting official transcripts to indicate that they have studied for the last three years (full-time) in a high school, college or university in Canada, the United States, the United Kingdom or any other country in which the primary language is English and where the language of instruction in the relevant educational institution was exclusively English. Students choosing this option should note the following:

  • Time spent in ESL courses will not be counted towards meeting these requirements
  • Language requirements will not be waived based on letters written by students or as a result of completing senior-level high-school English courses
  • If in addition to evidence of three years of study a student also provides a failing English language test score, the University reserves the right to review the admission decision
  • The University reserves the right to request an English Language Proficiency test from any applicant regardless of their academic background

Students who cannot demonstrate three-full time years in an English medium school/ college or university as outlined above must submit an English language test.

English Language Testing

The following four services evaluate language skills of people whose first language is not English. Contact the college you wish to attend to find out what test and score is needed there.

If you have taken language tests other than those listed above, please contact us to confirm with the college to determine whether they will meet language testing requirements.

Some colleges may also ask you to take a college language assessment test before being accepted as a full-time student in a college program.

Upgrading English

Many colleges offer English as a Second Language programs to help you improve your language skills. Contact our international student advisor of your choice for more information.

Note: All programs have limited enrolment. Having the minimum admission requirements does not guarantee that you will be admitted. All requirements are subject to change.

International Student Fees and Finances

International student fees are approximately $14,000 in Canadian funds per year (two semesters) plus the living expense. Colleges may also charge additional/ other fees.

You are not insured for medical, hospital or dental care by the Canadian government. However, most of the colleges have a health plan available for international students.

You cannot receive financial assistance from the Canadian government. As part of the immigration requirements, you need to prove that you have enough money to fully support yourself and your dependents during your stay in Canada.

Information about scholarships for international students is available at the following links:

Once enrolled at an Ontario college, international students usually qualify for the same awards and scholarships as other students.

Immigration Requirements

The Canadian government regulates the admission of international students to Canada. These regulations are subject to change. Contact the Canadian Embassy nearest you or contact Citizenship and Immigration Canada for more information or ask us how we can help.

Obtaining a Study Permit

Once you’ve received a letter of acceptance from an Ontario college, you need to apply for a study permit (Form IMM1294). You may apply for a study permit online, or you may obtain a paper application from your nearest Visa Application Centre.

To do this, you need:

  • a valid passport, in most cases
  • a letter of acceptance from the college stating the program of study, including start and end dates
  • proof that you have enough money to support yourself and your dependents during your entire stay in Canada
  • a letter from your sponsoring organization, if you are being sponsored
  • a medical clearance and/or security clearance, if necessary, depending on your home country

There is an application fee to apply for a study permit (see the Citizenship and Immigration Canada fees page for details).

When You Arrive in Canada

Immigration officials will ask to see these documents:

  • study permit (Form IMM1294)
  • passport (depending on your home country)
  • visitor visa, if required
  • all letters and papers used to obtain your student authorization (study permit)