Interim permanent residence pathway for caregivers now open to applications

Posted on Posted in Immigration Canada

Interim permanent residence pathway for caregivers now open to applications

One-time pathway will remain open until June 4, 2019

Canada’s Interim Pathway for Caregivers is now open to applications for permanent residence from eligible in-home temporary foreign worker caregivers who came to Canada after November 30, 2014. 

The temporary pathway will remain open until June 4, 2019, and there is no limit to the number of applications that Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will accept.

IRCC said the Interim Pathway for Caregivers responds to concerns raised by some caregivers who came to Canada under the Caring for Children or Caring for People with High Medical Needs pilot programs after November 30, 2014, and did not qualify for permanent residence.


Who is eligible?

The temporary program is for individuals who have acquired work experience through Canada’s Temporary Foreign Worker Program that matches the initial description and list of main duties for Canada’s National Occupational Classification (NOC) Group 4411 or 4412.

In order to be eligible, candidates must intend to reside outside of Quebec and have the following requirements:

  • authorization to work in Canada on a work permit other than a Live-in Caregiver Program (LCP) work permit (at the time of applying); or
  • applied for a renewal of a work permit other than a LCP work permit; or
  • applied and is eligible for restoration of status, and held a work permit other than a LCP work permit as their most recent work permit; and
  • language skills of at least a CLB/NCLC 5 in English or French; and
  • 12 months of full-time work experience in Canada since November 30, 2014, in a relevant occupation; and
  • a minimum of a Canadian high school diploma or non-Canadian educational diploma, certificate or credential that’s equal to a Canadian high school diploma.
    • Foreign credentials will require an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) — issued within five years before the date of application by an approved organization — that indicates that the foreign diploma, certificate or credential is equivalent to a completed Canadian secondary school diploma.

Note that candidates whose educational credential was obtained outside Canada and who cannot obtain an ECA before the Interim Pathway for Caregivers closes on June 4, 2019, are still eligible if they provide proof that they have applied to get an ECA. Proof includes written confirmation from agency that they have submitted a request for an ECA and/or receipt of payment.

Caregivers whose current or most recent work permit is through the Live-in Caregiver Program will not be eligible for consideration through the interim pathway.