Yukon Express Entry (YEE)
Candidates who are eligible to enter the federal Express Entry pool and are interested in living and working in Yukon may apply to the Yukon Express Entry stream (YEE).
Yukon added an Express Entry stream to its existing immigration programs in March 2015. This stream allows the province to nominate individuals who are already in Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada's (IRCC) Express Entry pool and who have the necessary education, skilled work experience, language ability, and other factors to help them settle successfully and integrate into Yukon’s labour market and communities.
To enter the federal Express Entry pool, candidates must be eligible for one of the three federal economic immigration programs:
Candidates who meet all eligibility requirements of one of these three federal programs must begin by creating an Express Entry profile on the IRCC website. Based on the information the candidate submits, his or her profile will be given a Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) score and the top-ranking profiles will be invited to apply for permanent residence. Receiving a Provincial or Territorial Nomination will boost the candidate's score by 600 CRS points, greatly increasing his or her chance of being invited to apply for permanent residence.
Take the opportunity to learn more about Yukon's Express Entry stream through the following sections:
Benefits of YEE
Benefit for Employers
The Express Entry system helps employers meet critical labour shortages with foreign skilled workers when they cannot find Canadians or permanent residents to fill openings for full-time, permanent jobs, despite reasonable recruitment efforts. Express Entry provides employers with greater flexibility than other immigration programs. With YEE, employers can take advantage of improvements to Canada’s Job Bank, an online search tool that matches prospective immigrants with Canadian employers and jobs based on their skills, knowledge and experience.
Employers who use YEE do not have to obtain a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) or pay for the foreign worker’s travel costs.
Benefit for Individuals
Express Entry helps eligible potential economic immigrants find permanent work in Yukon when employers cannot find Canadians or permanent residents to fill job openings. Applicants receive priority processing under Express Entry and most receive permanent residence within six months of verification of their completed application as a result.
Minimum Eligibility Criteria
To be eligible for Yukon Express Entry, applicants must:
- Meet the requirements of one of the three federal economic immigration programs;
- Complete the online Express Entry application to receive a Profile Number and, if applicable, a Job Seeker Validation Code;
- Have sufficient settlement funds to support themselves and any accompanying family members in Canada;
- The amount of money required is based on the size of the applicant’s family, as determined by IRCC.
- Have a valid job offer for permanent, full-time work from an eligible Yukon employer; and
- Have a genuine intention to live and work in Yukon.
YEE Application and Nomination Process
A valid offer of employment from an eligible Yukon employer will trigger a YNP Nomination for the Express Entry (EE) candidate and, subsequently, an Invitation to Apply (ITA) to IRCC for permanent residence.
There are 10 steps in the YEE application and nomination process. They are as follows:
- The employer finds a suitable foreign skilled worker.
- The employer offers the foreign national a job after demonstrating there is no Canadian or permanent resident available and/or suitable for the position.
- The worker meets the requirements for one of the three federal economic immigration programs.
- The worker completes an online application in IRCC’s EE system and enters the EE candidate pool. The worker obtains an EE Profile Number and, if applicable, a Job Seeker Validation Code.
- The worker proves that he or she has sufficient settlement funds.
- The employer and worker jointly complete and submit the Yukon Express Entry application form.
- The worker receives an ITA from IRCC.
- The worker provides all necessary documents to IRCC to complete the permanent residence application.
- IRCC and Yukon’s Immigration Unit verify the worker’s documents.
- The worker receives permanent residence.